Driver Safety Course
You may be eligible to take a Driving Safety Course if you are charged with a moving violation other than speeding 25 miles over the posted speed limit, have not taken a Driving Safety Course within the past 12 months and did not commit any of the following offenses:
- Section 545.066 passing a school bus
- Section 545.421 fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer
- Section 550.023 duty to give information and render aid
- Section 5223 serious traffic violation which concerns a commercial motor vehicle
- Section 542.404 construction zone with workers present.
CDL Holders Are Not Eligible
Instructions to Request Driver Safety Course
To qualify for a Driving Safety Course you must present to the Court in person an oral or written request to take the Driving Safety Course; or mail a written request to take the Driving Safety Course, post marked on or before the plea due date on the notice to appear.
You will need to pay $112.10 at the time of your request by Cashier's Check, Credit Card, or Money Order. We accept cash if paying in person.
Upon the Court's Receipt
Upon the Court's receipt of the request and $112.10 payment, you will receive the affidavit and instructions. The Court shall defer the proceedings and allow a person 90 days to complete a Driving Safety Course. The person will be required to present a uniform certificate of course completion as written evidence that after the alleged violation the person successfully completed a Driving Safety Course approved by the Texas Education Agency by the given 90 day due date. Do not take the Driving Safety Course until you have received permission from the court.
Making Your Request
When making your request you will need to:
- Enter a plea (PDF) of either no contest or guilty along with a written request to take a Driving Safety Course.
- You must provide a copy of your Driver's License. You must have a valid Texas Driver's license.
- You must provide proof of financial responsibility. Your name must appear on the insurance card or policy and must be in effect at the time you make your request.
- Include the $112.10 court cost by money order, cashier's check, or credit card.
No personal checks accepted.
If you are 16 years old or younger you must appear in person with a parent or legal guardian before Judge Redman.
All students in Wise County must contact the court regardless of age. 940-626-4206