Driver Safety Course
Under CCP Article 45.0511, For Traffic Violations
You are eligible to take a Driving Safety Course if you are charged with a moving violation, have not taken a Driving Safety Course within the past 12 months and did not commit any of the following:
- Speeding 25 or more miles above the posted speed
- Speeding with a speed of 95 miles per hour of more
- Section 545.066 passing a school bus
- Section 545.421 fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer
- Section 550.023 duty to give information and render aid
- Section 5223 serious traffic violation which concerns a commercial motor vehicle
- Section 542.404 construction zone with workers present.
- Commercial Driver's License Holders are not Eligible
To qualify for a Driving Safety Course you must present to the Court in person an oral or written request to take the Driving Safety Course; or mail a written request to take the Driving Safety Course, post marked on or before the plea due date on the notice to appear.
- Request must be made on or before your appear by date
- Enter a plea of No Contest or Guilty with a written request to take Driver's Safety Course.
- Pay $146.00 ($136.00 court cost and $10.00 administrative fee) by Cashier's Check/ Money Order or cash if paying in person. No personal checks accepted.
- Provide a Certified copy (Section 3A) of your diving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety. You may obtain a copy of your driving record at: http://texas.gov
- Sign an affidavit entering a plea of nolo contendere or guilty.
Upon the Court's Receipt:
Upon the Court's receipt of the request and $146.00 payment, you will receive the affidavit and instructions. The Court shall defer the proceedings and allow a person 90 days to complete a Driving Safety Course. The person will be required to present a uniform certificate of course completion as written evidence that after the alleged violation the person successfully completed a Driving Safety Course approved by the Texas Education Agency by the given 90 day due date. Do not take the Driving Safety Course until you have received permission from the court.
Upon Course Completion:
The person must submit the Texas Approved certificate to the court with his/her signature and present a certified copy of their driving record from Texas Department of Public Safety. The citation will be dismissed.
Juveniles (persons 16 or under when the offense occurred) and all provisional license holders must contact the court for instructions. You will be required to appear in person with a parent of legal guardian before the Judge.